"I beg God to sustain you and the American people in this hour of suffering and trial."
- Pope John Paul II, in a letter to President Bush
"... we must send a clear and unambiguous message to the world that the people of America are completely, 100 percent, united."
- Former President Clinton, traveling in Australia
"As for those who carried out these attacks ... their barbarism will stand as their shame for all eternity."
- British Prime Minister Tony Blair
"Israel will do all it can, and expresses condolences to the victims of the tragedy."
- A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
"We understand the feelings of the American people better than anyone. I want to tell the American people in Russia's name: 'We are with you.' "
- President Vladimir Putin
"I'm very sad. We denounce terrorism. We denounce terrorism under any circumstances."
- Hosni Mubarak, president of Egypt
"As a society that has suffered from the effects of terrorism for over 30 years, we have some understanding of the hurt being felt by the American people."
- Reg Empey and Seamus Mallon, leaders of Northern Ireland's Protestant/Catholic coalition government
"There is no cause that justifies this type of immoral and inhumane act...."
- From a statement by the American Muslim Council