Quiz: The civil rights movement
1. Which Supreme Court case was an important victory for the civil rights movement in 1954?
a. Brown v. Board of Education
b. Plessy v. Ferguson
c. Dred Scott v. Sandford
2. Which of the following propelled Martin Luther King Jr. to national prominence as a civil rights leader?
a. He led the Montgomery, Ala., boycott (1955-56) against segregated bus lines.
b. He organized the March on Washington (1963), wherehe gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech.
c. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (1964) for his philosophy of nonviolent resistance.
3. What key event in the civil rights movement happened in 1964?
a. Thurgood Marshall became the first African-American on the US Supreme Court.
b. President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.
c. The Black Panther Party was formed.
4. Who was the first African-American woman to serve in the United States Congress?
a. Shirley Chisholm
b. Ida Wells
c. Rosa Parks
5. The National Rainbow Coalition, a political organization uniting various minority groups, was formed in 1986 by which leader?
a. General Colin Powell
b. Louis Farrakhan
c. Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr.
Answers: 1. a; 2. a; 3. b; 4. a; 5. c