The best chocolate cream cheese cupcakes(Read article summary)
Bake your way through the rest of winter starting with these cream cheese chocolate cupcakes. Or choose another favorite dessert from the list below.
Whipped, The Blog
It was thanks to an unexpected snow day this winter that we discovered this chocolate cream cheese cupcake recipe. I have long been a fan of baked goods with cream cheese and crafted these brownies a few years back but had never found the cupcake version that I felt was perfect. Until now.
Everyone in the family agreed that these are winners. Not only was the cake moist, the cream cheese filling delectable, but it was nice to skip frosting for a change. When I say that this is a “perfect” recipe, I mean that it is perfect for me. Each of us has a unique palate and preferences. My favorite desserts are a little less sweet and usually include cream cheese, sour cream, or buttermilk. Though I love butter in cookies, many of my favorite cake recipes call for oil. And, as a red velvet cake lover, a touch of vinegar in chocolate cake is often a good sign.
If you were nodding your head in agreement as you read the previous paragraph, we may be dessert-compatible. Looking back at my recipe archive of baked goods, I was inspired to make a list of my all-time, never fail, favorite desserts. These are the cream of my crop. No tweaking necessary. As part of our “keep warm, survive the rest of winter” plan, we are baking regularly.
1. Luscious, moist carrot cake
2. White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
3. My sister’s apple crunch cake
4. These red velvet cupcakes
5. Heavenly banana cake
6. Chocolate cake with my secretest ingredient
7. My sister’s buttermilk cake with lemon frosting
8. Kathy’s almond tea cake
9. This amazing pumpkin bread
10. Stephanie’s banana bread
Well, that should keep you baking for a while!
The best chocolate cream cheese cupcakes
I tweaked this recipe from food.com.
Yields 20 cupcakes
For the cream cheese filling
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
For the chocolate cake
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder (use Valrohna – it’s worth it!)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin tins by lining with paper liners or greasing them thoroughly.
2. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer for a minute. Then add egg, sugar, and salt and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
3. Fill muffin cups 1/3 full with chocolate cake mixture. Drop a heading spoonful of cream cheese mixture onto each cupcake.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 22-24 minutes until the cakes are just set. Let cool on a rack.
Related post on Whipped The Blog: POM Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting