Menu
Share
Share this story
Close X
 
Switch to Desktop Site

Cheeki Rafiki search resumes, US Coast Guard hunts for four British sailors

Cheeki Rafiki search: Spokeswoman Lisa Novak said Tuesday that the search for the crew of the Cheeki Rafiki had been re-started at the request of the British government.

View video

The missing yacht Cheeki Rafiki is seen in this undated photo. The families of four missing British yachtsmen are imploring the US Coast Guard to resume the search for the men, whose boat capsized in the mid-Atlantic.

Royal Yachting Association/AP

View photo

The U.S. Coast Guard says it has resumed the search for four British sailors whose yacht apparently capsized in mid-Atlantic.

Spokeswoman Lisa Novak said Tuesday that the search for the crew of the Cheeki Rafiki had been re-started at the request of the British government.

About these ads

The yacht got into trouble on Thursday about 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Contact was lost after it diverted to the Azores.

Recommended:Costa Concordia: Why navigation might 'fail' and other cruise ship questions

The coast guard, Canadian aircraft and merchant vessels searched for the crew Friday and Saturday but called off efforts Sunday amid treacherous weather.

The suspension of the search caused an uproar in Britain. Almost 200,000 people have signed an online petition asking coast guards to keep looking, and families of the missing men appealed to British politicians for help.