Menu
Share
 
Switch to Desktop Site

Oil rig explosion unmasks 'dangerous myth' of safety, lawmakers say

Next Previous

Page 2 of 4

About these ads

IN PICTURES: Louisiana oil rig explosion

The White House said Friday that President Obama has no plans to reconsider the offshore oil drilling proposal after the Deepwater Horizon accident, reports the Washington Post.

After warning about a wellhead flow of 7,400 barrels a day beneath the Deepwater Horizon, the Coast Guard on Friday said there is now no evidence of leaking oil. An industry source suggested to the oil and gas industry newspaper Upstream that a remote-controlled submarine may have been able to activate an emergency shearing ram that stopped the flow.

The $600 million fifth-generation Deepwater Horizon rig had been in the process of capping an exploratory well above the Macondo deposit when an abnormal buildup of pressure probably caused a "blowout" – the oil from which fueled a violent fire that raged for 36 hours before the rig finally exploded again and sank Thursday morning. Eleven crew members are missing and are now believed to have perished in the immediate blast.

Next Previous

Page 2 of 4


Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.

Loading...