Peanut butter wingdings(Read article summary)
Potato chips topped with peanut butter and chocolate make a unique homemade treat. But watch out, because these peanut butter wingdings fly!
A Palatable Pastime
It has been a few years now since our family first sampled chocolate covered potato chips. They have been a holiday staple for my daughter and her partner Gabe who love them.
And not long ago I came across these gorgeous little chocolate covered peanut butter chips by the Chocolate Pizza Company. They are outrageously good! But I thought to myself: “Self? You can make these, right?” So I did!
They really aren’t very difficult, as far as homemade goodies go. For some reason they most closely taste like Reese’s Cups more than anything else I have made. Maybe it’s the salt in the peanut butter? Maybe the chip? It’s hard to pin down, but you should pin it down fast, because these peanut butter wingdings fly!
Peanut butter wingdings
1 12-ounce bag milk chocolate chips, or shaved/grated/chopped milk chocolate bars
1 large bag rippled potato chips
1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
1. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil and place the larger unbroken ripple chips curved side up on it.
2. Using a rubber spatula or knife, daub a small amount of peanut butter onto each chip, trying to avoid the edges (so the chocolate can seal it).
3. Place one cup chocolate chips in a microwave-safe measuring cup and microwave on 50 percent power for 1 minute, then stir. Microwave again in 30 second intervals, stirring after each cycle, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
4. Use a knife to apply chocolate to the top of the chip and allow to set in a cool dry place until chocolate hardens. If you need more chocolate, melt more using the same process.
5. Toward the end, as you might run out of better chips, crush the remainder and stir into chocolate, and drop by spoonfuls onto pan, as you would make haystack candies.
6. Store refrigerated or between sheets of waxed paper in a candy storage container, being careful not to crush them.
Related post on A Palatable Pastime: Potluck Chili Cupcakes