Lasagna for two(Read article summary)
Sometimes a whole lasagna is just too much. Make a smaller portion for a romantic dinner.
A Palatable Pastime
I love lasagna. But since I am an empty nester now, finding times I can bake it and use it effectively has become more difficult.
But I remain undeterred, and have scaled the recipe back for enough to feed about two or three people, or four with smaller portions. It also makes it perfect for a romantic meal. There may be a little left over, but that is easily rewarmed for a lunch the next day. I don’t really like to freeze large quantities of lasagna because it just seems to dry out and lose quality.
Every time I make this it's just the right amount for my loaf pan, but if you have extra, you can just bake it in an extra pan, or perhaps some ramekins for mini-lasagnas (kids might enjoy that)!
Smaller lasagna for two
Yield: 2-3 servings
Time: 75-90 minutes
6 lasagna noodles, cooked according to your package directions
8 ounces lean ground beef
1/2 cup freshly minced onion
2-4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
15 ounces marinara sauce
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cook noodles and drain.
3. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet for a few minutes then add ground beef, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and cook until beef is browned, breaking up any clumped meat. Stir in marinara sauce and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, making sure sauce doesn’t get too thick.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together a lightly beaten egg with ricotta and Parmesan.
5. In the bottom of a loaf pan, place about 1 cup meat sauce across the bottom. Top with two noodles, then top with half of the remaining meat sauce mixture. Top with another two noodles and the ricotta mixture. Top with the last two noodles and the remaining sauce. Layer mozzarella slices across the top.
6. Loosely tent pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake another ten minutes, allowing cheese to brown.
7. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes before you cut into it.